It has been said by some very Godly old time bible scholars that all of God’s promises are conditional. The land promises did not specifically say that Israel would occupy even though they disobeyed — only that it would be given to them.
Israel Received All of the Land
By Vern Mason
Christ’s kingdom came in glory and power nearly 2000 years ago, yet Christians are still having problems accepting this by faith. If it did come – it must mean that we too have failed to realize it.
For, just as Israel disobeyed and failed to occupy their land, we too have done the same thing. It has been said by some very Godly old time bible scholars that all of God’s promises are conditional. The land promises did not specifically say that Israel would occupy even though they disobeyed — only that it would be given to them.
- Gen 26:3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father; 4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; (KJV)
- Deut 26:3 And thou shalt go unto the priest that shall be in those days, and say unto him, I profess this day unto the LORD thy God, that I am come unto the country which the LORD sware unto our fathers for to give us. (KJV)
- Deut 26:8 And the LORD brought us forth out of Egypt with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with great terribleness, and with signs, and with wonders: 9 And he hath brought us into this place, and hath given us this land, even a land that floweth with milk and honey. (KJV)
- 28:11 And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee. (KJV)
- 30:20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them. (KJV)
- 31:7 And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it. (KJV)
- Josh 24:12 And I sent the hornet before you, which drave them out from before you, even the two kings of the Amorites; but not with thy sword, nor with thy bow. 13 And I have given you a land for which ye did not labour, and cities which ye built not, and ye dwell in them; of the vineyards and oliveyards which ye planted not do ye eat. 14 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. (KJV)
- 24:17 or the LORD our God, he it is that brought us up and our fathers out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and which did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way wherein we went, and among all the people through whom we passed: 8 And the LORD drave out from before us all the people, even the Amorites which dwelt in the land: therefore will we also serve the LORD; for he is our God. (KJV)
- 1 Sam 12:8 When Jacob was come into Egypt, and your fathers cried unto the LORD, then the LORD sent Moses and Aaron, which brought forth your fathers out of Egypt, and made them dwell in this place. (KJV)
- 3:28 But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him: for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which thou shalt see. (KJV)
Joshua was to cause them to inherit all of the land that God had promised them.
Again – They either received all of the land that God had promised Abraham while Joshua was still living or the bible is mistaken.
- Ps 105:11 Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance: (KJV)
They received all of the Land that God Had Promised.
- Josh 21:43 And the LORD gave unto Israel all the land which he sware to give unto their fathers; and they possessed it, and dwelt therein. 44 And the LORD gave them rest round about, according to all that he sware unto their fathers: and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them; the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand. 45 There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass. (KJV)
- (Josh 21:43 So the LORD gave Israel all the land he had sworn to give their forefathers, and they took possession of it and settled there. 44 The LORD gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their forefathers. Not one of their enemies withstood them; the LORD handed all their enemies over to them. 44 The LORD gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their forefathers. Not one of their enemies withstood them; the LORD handed all their enemies over to them.
- 45 Not one of all the LORD’s good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled. (NIV)
- Josh 23:14 And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you;
all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof. (KJV)
- Ps 44:1 We have heard with our ears, O God; our fathers have told us what you did in their days, in days long ago. 2 With your hand you drove out the nations and planted our fathers; you crushed the peoples and made our fathers flourish. 3 It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them. (NIV)
- Ps 105:43 And he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness: 44 And gave them the lands of the heathen: and they inherited the labour of the people; (KJV)
However, –They would be Destroyed off of the Land
- Josh 23:14 And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof. 15 Therefore it shall come to pass, t, that as all good things are come upon you, which the LORD your God promised you; so shall the LORD bring upon you all evil things, until the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, (KJV)
- Deut 31:29 For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands. (KJV)
Jacob spoke of the last days
- Gen 49:1 And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days. (KJV)
Judah would be a governing people until the messiah came.
- Gen 49:9 Judah is a lion’s whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?
- 10The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. (KJV)
Judah’s governing stopped when Christ came and destroyed the temple.
By that time the old temple had been replaced with one that was not made by men’s hands.
Israel did not occupy all of the land they were given. It was given to them and so it was theirs, yet they did not occupy all of it. Again, – It was given as promised, but there were conditions. – They were to drive out the enemies and they did not do this.
The promise did not specifically say they would occupy, even though they disobeyed, only that it would be given to them.
- Rom 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? (KJV)
God has always fulfilled his part of his covenants.
Just who is the Israel of the NT?
Will the true Israel of God please stand up!
- Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
- 7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. (KJV)
- Gal 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. (KJV)
- Ps 22:26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. 27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD’s: and he is the governor among the nations. 29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul. 30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation. 31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.
- Ps 25:12 What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose. 13 His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.
- Ps 37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. 10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. 11 But the meek shall inherit the earth and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
- Ps 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
- Ps 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.
- Ps 37:34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
- Isa 60:21 Thy people also shall be all righteous: the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.
- Matt 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
- Matt 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
- Mark 4:30 And he said, Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it? 31 It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth: 32 But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it.
- Matt 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; 42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
- Matt 13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: 48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away. 49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
1. Did the kingdom of Christ arrive in the first century?
2. Was it to destroy all other kingdoms, and stand forever?
3. Are those who are born again able to see Christ’s kingdom.
4. If the obey will they also enter it?
5. Is it an in heart kingdom?
- Daniel 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
- John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
- John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
- Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
- Matt 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
- Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
- Matt 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.(KJV)
- Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
- Luke 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
Did Christ eat and drink with his desciples in His kingdom after his resurrection?
- Mark 14:25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
- John 21:9 As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.10 Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.11 Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken. 12 Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord. 13 Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise. 14 This is now from the dead.
He had revealed himself two other times. Do we have the authority to say he never did drink wine with them on any of those occasions?
- Acts 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; 41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
- 1 Cor 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
Do Christians receive the land promises given to Abraham? Or, said another way – will they be heirs of this world?
- Rom 4:3 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
- Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. (KJV)
Christ’s kingdom came in glory and power nearly 2000 years ago, yet Christians are still having problems accepting this by faith. It has been said by some very Godly old time bible scholars that all of God’s promises are conditional. If it did come – it must mean that we too have failed to realize it. For, just as Israel disobeyed and failed to occupy we too have done the same thing.
We want it all handed to us on a silver platter.
Then because we fail to hear Christ teach that his kingdom is in the heart we keep looking around at the decadence of the world and fail to look inward.
The end result is more and more decadence for we have failed to accept our responsibility and are into demanding that he come back down and do it all for us.
He gave us the kingdom. That was his part.
V. M. 10/27/98 – 5/2/02